Thursday, September 4, 2008

Ready or not.....

I live on the southeast coast, and my schedule has been VERY BUSY getting ready for Hanna.

I'm very grateful that we have the advance warning, and I cannot imagine how it must have been "in the old days" to have a storm like that arise out of the blue.

That said, the week leading up to a hurricane is SO stressful! In a way, it reminds me of the week before Christmas, when we're all so busy making preparations, and it seems like we're never REALLY ready.

Somehow, this time, I feel a sense of serenity through all the mayhem. I'm doing what I can, and then, it's time to trust in God that no matter what happens to my home and my possessions, my family and I will be OK.

Ready or not.............. here the storm comes! And, then there's Ike. Ah, the price I pay to live near the beach!

I just know I'm not alone.

5 comments:

ROBERTA said...

i'll be looking for you on the news :) hopefully hanna & ike will blow over quickly and yes, you do pay a very high price to live by the beach!

Jayne said...

That's scary Evelyn. Hope all goes well and that you all are spared any major damage. You are in my prayers.

Treehugger said...

I like that part that says "I'm doing what I can, and then, it's time to trust God, no matter what happens...". Guess that works in every other area of our lives, during both the difficult AND the easy-going times...if only we'd figure it out, once and for all...instead of having to "re-learn" it so often...

Caffeinated Weka said...

While you may feel that preparing for and experiencing hurricanes is a high price to pay for living near the beach (and I don't doubt that they are!), there are so many advantages to living where you do. I myself live near the sea and find it difficult to live more than 20km away from a shoreline of some sort. While we are not nearly as susceptible to hurricanes or the kinds of storms you experience, I count myself truly blessed to be living in such paradise.

Evelyn said...

Thank you all for your comments!

The beach is indeed "my place" to find relaxation and connection to God.

Walking the walkway past the dunes, I can feel my stress slipping off of my shoulders!

Then, again, I visited the Colorado mountains this summer. I can easily envision hiking in that environment for the same purpose!