Wednesday, February 25, 2009
In the place of silver and brass, there is wrought iron. The wrought iron candlesticks with their simple pillar candles are beautiful in their own way.
When I was young, I thought Lent was "so depressing". Now, I'm learning to appreciate the time to stop and reflect.
My pastor sends a "mid-week musings" e-mail. In the e-mail, he encourages us to share the message with our friends.
Today, he said, in part .... " Lent is not so much about giving up or taking on as it is a season of letting go. Letting go of our pride, our fear, our sins and our prejudices in order that we make room in the deep recesses of our souls for Jesus Christ through the power and wisdom of the Holy Spirit."
This Lent, I want to make room.............. as in the old hymn: "Come into my heart, Lord Jesus, there is room in my heart for Thee."
It's Lent. It's time to quiet my mind, and open my heart.
Saturday, February 14, 2009
Today, I'm trying not to focus on the love that I don't have (even as I sit here in tears). Today, I'm asking God for healing for the broken parts of me that have such a hard time accepting love.
I'm learning that "trying NOT to do something" just doesn't work. If you don't believe me, well then take a moment and ask yourself NOT to think of the color purple. It just simply brings purple into my thoughts more and more!
For today, where is love in my life?
- Christ's love is always present, as he says "behold, I stand at the door and knock"........ today I'll open the door to my heart.
- As I remember the agony of all of the Valentine's Days at work, seeing all of the flowers on others' desks............ I choose to remember with gratitude the co-worker who placed a small plant on my desk one year........... Ginnie, you're an angel.
- I've been blessed with a group of friends, and our friendship is a gift indeed, whatever is happening in our lives.
- My children.......... both my daughter who freely shows her love, and my son, whose love is there, though often hidden behind the young macho man image!
- The plentiful pets in my house at the moment: my sweet older dog Megan, who now needs help getting up in the bed with me; Midnight, the cat whom my children found wandering the street as a kitten; Midnight's FOUR six-week-old kittens; Ronnie, my daughter's new rambuncious puppy.
- My two sisters, who are an inspiration and a strength to me, across the miles.
- My niece Kate, and her two adorable children! They have moved closer to me (it only takes 5 1/2 hours to drive to see her!), and we're discovering a new, richer relationship
So, today I'm celebrating a different kind of Valentine's Day. Love is all around me, and that's what I'm celebrating today! Oh, and yes, I AM grateful that just for this year, it is SATURDAY, so I don't have the challenge of all of the flowers delivered to others at work! :~)
Happy Valentine's Day!