Sunday, May 2, 2010

Leaving the change up to God


Change.
Originally uploaded by flightlessXbird


It's not something I talk about often, but I'm a person who used to cope with life, stuff my emotions, and barely survive by eating til I was stuffed. That "worked" until all of a sudden it didn't work. I found myself eating so much that I was up many nights "hugging the porcelain", and that didn't work for me!

So, I'm OA, and am I ever grateful for the 12 Steps! I'm finally learning how to face my stuff instead of stuffing my face.

To paraphrase a recovery reading that has stuck with me for 2 days: I'm thankful that recovery is giving me the vision to realize that I don't have to change the world, others, situations, or even myself; I'm responsible for "doing the footwork" -- change is God's domain!

That's an idea that I can use in every situation. No, I don't sit around wishing and hoping for change; I do what I can, which is to work towards that change. I can accomplish so much more, and be much more joyous in the task, knowing that my best IS good enough, as long as I can let go and trust God for the changes needed.

1 comment:

Jayne said...

I am a true believer that food is definitely a drug of choice, just like alcohol, drugs, shopping, sex, work, etc. Kudos to you Evelyn for stepping back, and realizing that it's how we USE the food. Blessings to you on this journey. It will free you...