Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Tragedy on the way to the beach.......

An old acquaintance of mine died on the highway this weekend, and her son died, too.
It's weird how, when I first saw the report of the accident in the paper, I somehow knew in the pit of my stomach...... that someone I knew had died there.

Later, I found that the names had been released. There, unmistakably was a fellow "soccer mom" with whom I had cheered on the sidelines. She was one of those people who put their all into life, and it showed! We have crossed paths many times over the years, and we've always been happy to see each other and "catch up" on our children's lives. Her son, who played soccer with my son, is now motherless and brotherless. Her daughter, who, as a toddler, played on the sidelines with my daughter, and who graduated high school with my daughter just one year ago,..... her mother and brother are gone.

The road where they died is on the way to the beach. I travelled that way tonight, and almost started crying as I passed the place where the terrible accident happened. Yes, the road has been cleared........ no sign of the tragedy is left. I imagine my trips to the beach will be just a little bit different now. As I come to that curve in the road, I hope I'll pause and remember a dear lady whose smile was contagious. She shouted encouragement to her son, and to mine. As I pause, I hope I remember to pray for the "children".... ahem, the young adults, who are left with only a memory of their mother and brother.

May light perpetual shine upon them.......... and may peace be with those they left behind.

2 comments:

Jayne said...

How very sad Evelyn. It is always such a stark reminder that we are not promised one day... and so we must drink in the days that we have and be joyful that we get to the end of each one. Prayers ascend for their family.

Ruth said...

Tragedies like this are so hard to understand. Praying for comfort for the family and for you.