Sunday, May 18, 2008

Keeping the memory alive

Today has been an interesting day for me, and for my memories.

My mother died when I was quite young, but I do have a beautiful memory of my mother singing...... and sharing the joy of watching some birds. Maybe THAT'S why I so enjoy the birds today! I've always loved singing, too, especially in church. No matter how low I'm feeling, joining in the singing of hymns brings joy to my spirit.

This morning, while singing a hymn in church, I had the unmistakeable sensation that my mother was singing along. That was quite an experience!

Then, a few minutes ago I was reading Saturday's post over at "Journey of Grace" (the link's in my bloglist!) with some beautiful pictures of roses. As I read about the special person's memory evoked by those roses, I was transported back to Massachusetts, to my Uncle Earle's rose garden, and I was warmed by the memories I have of my dear Uncle.............. the person who brought grace, love, and caring to my childhood.

I think I'm going to have to do some research, and find out if there is such a thing as a rose that is good for a beginner gardener with a serious "brown thumb". Thank you, Jayne, for the inspiration! :~)

2 comments:

Jayne said...

Aww Evelyn, so glad that post brought back such lovely memories. I am sure your mom WAS there singing with you. Hugs! (I think the "Knockout" roses are the ones you want to start with as they seem to require the least care.)

Evelyn said...

Thank you for your expertise, Jayne! I'll see if I can find those "Knockout" roses! :~)