Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Surprised by God..................

There's a new book on my Shelfari shelf.
I was wandering through the biography section of the library (have I told you how much I LOVE public libraries?) and this book practically jumped off the shelf calling my name. SURPRISED BY GOD is in large print, and then in small print.... How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Religion.

This book is the story of a young woman's spiritual journey from atheism to embracing faith. She and I do not practice the same religion, but I find myself focusing on what we have in common, rather than the ways in which we differ.

I, too, have been "surprised by God" over the course of my life. I haven't considered myself an atheist, but I have spent years in a depressed condition. The fact that I can really experience joy (and pain..... gotta take both!) in my life has been quite a surprise, for one. And yes, I do count it God's grace that has a hand in my recovery.

Every day, if I look for it with an open mind, I find some surprising bit of joy in my day. Yes, I'm grateful.

1 comment:

Jayne said...

It's so wonderful to find a book that speaks to you. :c) One day at a time my friend, one day at a time... it's all any of us can do and live fully.